By,Enabulele Adesuwa.
On Monday, 17 February 2025, the former Governor of Kaduna State, Nasir El-Rufai, honoured an invitation from the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) over allegations of financial embezzlement during his tenure and subsequently spent the night in EFCC custody.
The Commission’s spokesperson, Dele Oyewale, confirmed that El-Rufai reported to the Commission’s headquarters to answer questions concerning his administration of Kaduna State. According to the EFCC, he is currently being questioned by investigators.
The Kaduna State House of Assembly had earlier constituted an ad hoc committee to investigate the financial dealings and contractual liabilities of the El-Rufai administration.
According to Henry Zacharia, Chairman of the ad hoc committee, the majority of the loans obtained under El-Rufai’s administration were allegedly not utilised for the purposes for which they were secured. In some instances, due process was reportedly not followed in obtaining the loans.
The Speaker of the Assembly, Yusuf Liman, also stated that a total of ₦423 billion was allegedly siphoned during El-Rufai’s administration, leaving the state with substantial liabilities.
The committee therefore recommended the investigation and prosecution of El-Rufai and certain members of his cabinet by security and anti-corruption agencies for alleged abuse of office, diversion of public funds, and money laundering. It also recommended the immediate suspension of the Commissioner of Finance, Shizer Badda, who had served in the same capacity under the El-Rufai administration.
Responding to the allegations,
El-Rufai’s spokesman, Muyiwa Adekeye, defended the integrity of the former administration and described the committee’s claims as “scandalous”.
“Malam Nasir El-Rufai is immensely proud of his record of governance and the legacy he left in Kaduna State. This record of consistently high performance in public and private office cannot be altered by any malicious effort to use the auspices of a state legislature for defamation and undeserved smears.
“Many of the officials who served in the El-Rufai government appeared before the ad hoc committee because of their confidence in the quality of their service and the rectitude with which they served Kaduna State. They were under no illusion that they were participating in a fair process. It was obvious that the ad hoc committee was merely going through the motions of an inquiry to lend superficial credibility to predetermined conclusions,” Adekeye said.
“It is regrettable to witness such a departure from the principles of decency and fairness by a state legislature. We dismiss with contempt the claims being circulated in connection with the report.
“Malam El-Rufai wishes to assure discerning Nigerians that he served Kaduna State with integrity and to the best of his ability, supported by a hardworking and patriotic team. He complied with all extant laws throughout his tenure as governor. This probe should be disregarded as the politically motivated exercise that it is,” he added.
This development comes at a time when the Federal Government has filed a three-count charge over the alleged interception of communications belonging to Nigeria’s National Security Adviser (NSA), Nuhu Ribadu.
The government, through the Department of State Services (DSS), filed the charges against the former governor at the Federal High Court in Abuja.
According to the charge sheet obtained by Sharia Reporters on Monday, marked FHC/CR/99/2026, the case was filed in the name of the Federal Republic of Nigeria as complainant, with El-Rufai, 65, listed as the sole defendant. The prosecution alleged that El-Rufai made incriminating admissions during a televised interview on 13 February 2026 while appearing as a guest on Prime Time on Arise TV in Abuja.
Count One alleges that the former governor admitted to unlawfully intercepting the telephone communications of the NSA, an act said to be contrary to, and punishable under, Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) (Amendment) Act, 2024.
Support ACJ UNIBEN's goal of always bringing truth to light.
Excellent campus journalism requires financial support. Yet, it is this very journalism that contributes to an informed campus community, transparency in educational institutions, and an engaged student body. To continue offering free access to top-notch campus journalism, we invite you to consider making a modest contribution to this worthwhile endeavor. Your support for ACJ UNIBEN's campus journalism ensures its relevance and availability to all students, free of charge, fostering an informed and active campus community.
DONATE

